Thought(s) of the Day: Inspirational and/or amusing Nuggets of Wisdom

Advent, like its cousin Lent, is a season for prayer and reformation in our hearts. Take time to be aware that in the very midst of our busy preparations for the celebration of Christ's birth, Christ is reborn in our homes and daily lives. Take time, slow down, be still, be awake to the Divine Mystery that looks so common and so ordinary yet is wondrously present.
~Edward Hays

The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.
~John E. Southard



Thursday, October 8, 2009

Welcome Back Old Friend




I know summer is the season for beach vacations, hanging out by the pool, and soaking up the rays- and that's all great, in moderation. But I personally could not be happier that fall has finally arrived! Fall is easily my favorite season. The cooler temperatures are just the beginning. I love the bright-colored leaves that fall brings; the brilliant oranges, vivid reds, and vibrant yellows. On our morning commute to my sons' schools, we travel several back roads lined with full, tall trees. Their leaves are just starting to change and the boys and I are having fun spotting the bright patches we see. Even the two hour drive to meet their father every other weekend is being made more enjoyable by the beautiful fall foliage.



Besides the rich colors, fall brings many other joys. Carving pumpkins is always a (very messy)blast. Scooping out the gooey pumpkin "guts", carving the perfect, spooky face, and finally watching your pumpkin come to life with a flickering candle. Of course there's also the crunchy treat you get after drying out, salting, and baking the pumpkin seeds! Yum! And don't get me started on the wonderful scents of fall. I just love the smell of cinnamon, whether it's from scented pine cones or spicing up a cup of hot, apple cider. Speaking of apple cider- yet another delicious treat that goes hand in hand with the fall season. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.



So I'm happily saying goodbye summer and welcome fall! Adios mosquitoes, humidity, and sunburns! Greetings beautiful colors, crisp air, and tasty treats! I know your distant cousin Jack Frost will be here before we know it, but please Fall, my dear, old, long-awaited for friend, please stay as long as you want!

3 comments:

  1. I very much agree! Fall is still sneaking in down here. I bet y'all are seeing some beautiful colors up there though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love fall-- for all the same reasons you just mentioned! Can't wait to see you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you read my blog so you know how much I love fall as well! I hope it lasts a while, and wish we could skip the visit from the distant cousin, Jack frost!

    ReplyDelete